The family’s 2 dogs began to bark, alerting them to the presence of a meter and a half long black spitting cobra.
One April evening in Kathmandu, Nepal the Wong family’s 2 dogs began to bark, alerting them to the presence of a meter and a half long black spitting cobra in the backyard.
“We tried to stop our dogs from attacking the cobra and grabbed garden tools to intercept,” said Wong Ji Siang, the family’s 25-year-old son.
“By the time we got the tools, the snake was already half dead and my dog had venom in her eyes.”
Yeogi , the family’s six-year-old female mongrel, was struck in her right eye with the snake’s venom, which led to swelling and secretion of pus. Their other mongrel, Kumar, was unharmed. The Wongs took Yeogi to the vet and the dog has since regained most of her eyesight.
A family living near a hill along Carmichael Road, says that the incident was not the first of its kind.
Just the previous morning their dogs had encountered a snake of the same species. They killed it before any harm was done. Creatures have entered the home on numerous occasions.
When asked how residents should approach a snake or other creatures that enter their home, Anbarasi Boopal, deputy chief executive of Animal Concerns Research and Education Society (ACRES), said that residents should call the ACRES hotline for help.
A description of the snake or other creature is requested before further help can be provided. If the snake happens to be solid black with no patterns, I might likely be a cobra and people are asked to keep at least a 2 meter distance at all times.
Watch how dogs fight snakes – helps understand why they get hurt
>>READ MORE: Horrified Parents Saw Their Doberman Grab Their Infant Daughter. But Then They Realized He Had Saved Her